City News

Harbour Bridge reopens after multi-vehicle car crash and fire stalls traffic across Sydney

The Sydney Harbour Bridge was closed in all directions on Monday morning following a mult-vehicle car crash.


All lanes were reopened on the Harbour Bridge at about 10:15 on Monday morning after a three-vehicle crash and subsequent fire had closed the bridge in both directions and had caused major traffic congestion throughout Sydney.

Emergency services were called to the Bradfield Highway at Millers Point at about 7:10am on Monday morning following reports that three vehicles had crashed, causing one to flip and catch on fire.

Two of the drivers – a man and a woman – were treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics, with the man being taken to Royal North Shore Hospital and the woman to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, with the other driver taken to St Vincent’s Hospital in a serious but stable condition, after he was freed by rescue operators after being trapped in a van.

Officers from the Sydney City Police Area Command have established a crime scene, which will be examined by specialist police from the Crash Investigation Unit. NSW Police have said that an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the crash is underway.

Prior to reports of the multi-vehicle car crash, NSW Police had advised road users to “avoid non-essential travel and to exercise caution on the roads” following concerns for expected delays due to the weather. As part of measures to assist with traffic flow, motorists were able to use the T2 and T3 transit lines without being fined.

Following the multi-vehicle car crash, road users were advised to avoid the Harbour Bridge entirely, with alternate harbour crossing networks, including the Anzac Bridge or the Harbour Tunnel, suggested when travelling in and out of the city. Major routes approaching the bridge, including the Gore Hill Freeway and Military Road, also experienced heavy congestion.

At about 9:00, it was reported that two southbound lanes had reopened on the Harbour Bridge. About an hour later, all lanes had reopened.

Related Posts