Arts & Entertainment

Flooding Forces Postponement Of Sydney Night Noodle Markets

The unprecedented rainfall and subsequent flash flooding which swept across much of Sydney over the past week has forced the annual Sydney Night Noodle Markets to postpone.

Due to the extent of the rainfall which fell across Sydney over the past two weeks the The City of Sydney has deemed park grounds unsafe for public events due to sustained rain saturation. In statement the organisers of the Sydney Night Noodle Markets said, “Due to sustained rain saturation at Prince Alfred Park, The City of Sydney has advised that the Sydney Night Noodle Markets cannot go ahead from Tuesday, March 22 until Sunday, March 27, and will need to be postponed to a later date.”

With the Sydney Night Noodle Markets drawing large crowd each year, prior to COVID, the City has deemed the parks unsafe and unsuitable “to cater for a large public event” as such events require “safe and sturdy ground that can withstand vehicles, temporary installations and heavy footfall.”

“We are absolutely devastated that the Sydney Night Noodle Markets cannot proceed as planned, though the health, safety and comfort of our market-goers, stallholders, suppliers and partners is the absolute priority,” said Venessa Cowell, Head of Nine Food Events, organisers of the Night Noodle Markets. “The City of Sydney has deemed Prince Alfred Park unfit for an event of this size, and it will take several weeks for it to return to normal.  Unfortunately the recent weather conditions have impacted many of our city’s beautiful large parks making relocating not an option.”

Rescheduled dates are yet to be decided but Venessa assures Sydneysiders “the event will go-ahead this year!”

Those who had already registered for a free ticket at www.nightnoodlemarkets.com.au/sydney will be able to use their tickets on the new dates.

Related Posts