Sydney Mardi Gras cancels key party as COVID-19 surge continues
The Mardi Gras Party at the Hordern Pavilion will no longer go ahead this year. Photo: The Hordern.
By TOKS OGUNDARE
The 2022 Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Party will not go ahead as density limits and restrictions on singing and dancing remain in place for venues in NSW.
“It’s with very heavy hearts we must advise that Party will no longer take place in 2022,” the organisers said yesterday.
The announcement comes as NSW recorded 25,168 new COVID-19 cases and 46 fatalities – the largest daily death toll reported in the state since the pandemic began.
“This phase of the pandemic remains volatile, and the health and safety of our community will always remain our top priority,” Mardi Gras organisers said.
The party was due to be held at Sydney’s Hordern Pavilion following the parade at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
More than 10,000 people were set to attend the event on March 5, renowned as the largest LGBTQI+ party in the Southern Hemisphere.
In the statement, organisers explained their decision to cancel the event this far in advance.
“Although March 5th is still several weeks away, due to Party’s large scale, sadly we have had to make the very tough call now.
“Not only for the sustainability of the event in future years but also for the organisation, and so that artists and partygoers can make alternate plans.”
Organisers advised that other main events will go on, despite the cancellation.
“We have approved COVID-Safe plans and procedures in place to ensure other key events, including community favourites Fair Day and Parade, can still go ahead as planned,” they said.
Those who had already purchased tickets to Party were told to expect a refund for the event.